What are your plans for Fall?
Does sun, sand, scuba, surf and self-discovery sound like you?
Due to student demand, we have decided to add an extra Domestic Semester Program to our Fall 2020 options! It's been super exciting to see how many people are interested in learning about and exploring the beautiful US this year. We've had a huge level of demand and particularly in Hawaii. So... here it is!
Our 10-week Hawaii Semester program will offer you enriching and inspiring experiences throughout the offshore beauty of Hawaii’s Big Island. The program will combine service-learning conservation projects in diverse reserves; outdoor expeditions including backpacking, rock climbing, yoga, surfing and white-water rafting; and educational adventure travel through the island’s stunning mountain, beach and rainforest environments. Discover the navigating skills of the indigenous Polynesians, complete a conservation project helping locals with food harvesting and dam reconstruction, you'll learn about the legends of the island, the local medicinal plants, and even take a workshop or two in lei- and dye-making! Our program will uncover more about your own backyard than you even knew existed, as well as learning more about yourself along the way.
Facilitated by our supportive and experienced Program Instructors, this is an excellent opportunity for students wanting to develop personal and leadership skills, have new experiences and challenge themselves, be immersed in unique environments and learn about sustainability - not to mention, have an insane amount of fun!
The program is open to high school graduates, university students and graduates, ideally 18 – 24 years. Optional transferable academic credit is available to all participants.
• Bike through Hawaii’s Volcano National Park
• Extended Surf camp off of Hawaii’s Big Island
• Conservation project on Hawaii’s Big Island
• Cultural immersion experience on Hawaii’s Big Island
• Self-sufficient tramping (backpacking) trip in Hawaii
• Small group experience with qualified and knowledgeable instructors
• Experiential core curriculum that pushes students to reflect and ask questions of themselves, working towards a deeper understanding of their values, identity, passions and purpose
Who is Pacific Discovery?
Since its inception in 2001, Pacific Discovery has taken more than 2,000 students and many faculty-led groups on our experiential journeys. We value our incredible team of experienced, qualified and passionate Program Instructors. We have an excellent safety record, comprehensive safety management systems and a database of alumni, parents, advisers and faculty, who are happy to be contacted by you, to discuss their experience.
Pacific Discovery has undergone independent safety accreditations with Gap Year Association (USA), Year Out Group (UK), and OutdoorsMark (NZ).
* A payment of US$1,700 is required to register for course credits through us. This payment goes to the University we partner with for administration fees.